blue valentine

Sunday, August 28, 2011 ♥ 9


"I feel like men are more romantic than women. When we get married we marry, like, one girl, 'cause we're resistant the whole way until we meet one girl and we think I'd be an idiot if I didn't marry this girl she's so great. But it seems like girls get to a place where they just kinda pick the best option... 'Oh he's got a good job.' I mean they spend their whole life looking for Prince Charming and then they marry the guy who's got a good job and is gonna stick around."

♥ ♥ 

Last night, I had a little me-time and it was relaxing. I curled up with my laptop on my bed at 1am and put Blue Valentine on. I'd been meaning to watch this film for a while now so it was nice to finally get 'round to it. It was a two hour movie, and I must say, I loved it. I'm a bit wary when it comes to indie films, because while some of them can turn out to be real gems (most of you know my love for (500) Days of Summer), others can be a little dull, emotional for the sake of being emotional, and sometimes even pointless (indie purists can now scoff at me for not "getting it".). I liked Once, but I liked the soundtrack even better, and I probably wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again.

Blue Valentine is everything your average indie film is: heartbreaking, emotional, and speaks a lot of truth about life. But it is also everything a fantastic indie film is: raw, honest, bittersweet, desperate. Truth be told, what really sold this film for me was Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams's portrayal of Dean and Cindysimply phenomenal.

My favourite scenes are the ones displayed above. There and then, I fell in love with Dean as he held Cindy who wanted to but couldn't go through with an abortion. Then again as Dean held Cindy on the bus ever so tightly, when he told her he wanted to be a family with her. That he'd do it. That he'd father a child that wasn't his, but Cindy's former boyfriend's. He never complained. He just supported her. He just loved her. But it still wasn't enough. When is love ever enough?

Julia

♥ 9 Response(s) to “blue valentine”

♥ Leave a Reply: